Get to know El Albir
INFORMATION ABOUT ALBIR
Albir beach is a well known area situated in Alfaz del Pi, between Benidorm and Altea, in a privileged part of the Costa Blanca, with a high quality of life, an excellent Mediterranean climate, good and cheap communication with many destinations from Alicante Airport (55 km), and a large community of residential citizens from Norway, Belgium, England, Holland and The Russian Federation who enjoy their own shops, schools, medical centres, churches and other infrastructure of different nationalities.
Our wonderful beach in Albir is a pebble beach which has all kinds of services in which a large part of the leisure activities of the locality is concentrated. The sea is very calm with few waves, and you can find a sandy beach just a few kilometres away. You can also enjoy a walk along the Sea Front known as the “Paseo de las Estrellas” along the whole of the Albir beach. It is named after the famous actors who have attended the Alfaz del Pi Cinema Festival which takes place every July.
Albir´s architecture, typically Mediterranean, has been adapted to the latest contemporary tendencies, always taking advantage of the resources in harmony with the region’s climate. This is why white is the predominant colour, along with swimming pools, open-air terraces, porches and gardens.
Construction of buildings with more than 5 storeys has been prohibited in Albir, in order to conserve the wonderful natural views of the area.
It is for all these reasons that numerous families and people of different nationalities choose the Albir beach to enjoy both its tranquillity as well its offer of leisure, in an ideal situation surrounded by sea and mountains.
Short history of Alfaz del Pi
Alfaz del Pi originated as a fortification for self defence against the berber pirates. “Alfaz” is a name of Arab origin meaning “fertile or cultivated land”. Its traditional economy has always been linked to the land itself and the production of fruit or almond trees, as well as iron or gypsum mining. Alfaz used to belong to the barony of Polop. There was a large rise in the population in the 17th century. In 1836, Alfaz finally got its independence from Polop, renaming the town as Alfaz del Pi in honour of a pine tree planted in 1786 by the villagers in the town square, which symbolized their independence from Polop. The dialect spoken here is called “valenciano” and Pi refers to the pine tree, in that dialect.